Sustainable Communities Strategy
Under SB 375, BCAG, as the region's Metropolitan Planning Organization, has been designated by the state to prepare the area's "Sustainable Communities Strategy" (SCS) as an additional element of the 2016 Regional Transportation Plan (RTP). The SCS is the forecasted development pattern for the region, which, when integrated into with the transportation network, and other transportation measures and policies, will meet the passenger vehicle greenhouse gas reduction target for the area.
Approach to Developing the 2016 SCS
BCAG's 2016 SCS
- Regional Growth Forecasts (November 2014)
- Long-Range Transit and Non-Motorized Plan (April 2015)
- Development Schedule (revised May 2016)
- Technical Methodology for Estimating GHG Emissions (April 2016)
- Final SCS Chapter for 2016 RTP (November 2016)
Public Outreach for the 2016 RTP/SCS
Round 1 - Outreach Prior to Development (August 2014)
Prior to the development of the 2016 RTP/SCS, staff hosted two public workshops in August of 2014 in the City of Oroville and Chico in an effort to educate and inform the public as to what the project consists of and to solicit comments. Links to the workshop documents and public notice have been posted below.
Round 2 - Program Environmental Impact Report (EIR) Scoping Meetings (September 2015)
BCAG staff and EIR consultants, Rincon Inc., hosted two public workshops in September of 2016 in the City of Oroville and Chico to solicit views from agencies and the public regarding the scope and content of the environmental analysis that will be included in the Draft EIR in. Links to the workshop documents and public notice have been posted below.
Round 3 - Review Draft Regional Transportation Plan and Sustainable Communities Strategy (July 2016)
An open house workshop has been scheduled to review the Preliminary Draft 2016 RTP/SCS for July 13, 2016 at 3 p.m. at the BCAG conference room located at 326 Huss Drive, Suite 150, Chico. Links to the workshop documents and public notice will be posted below when available.
Round 4 - Review Draft Regional Transportation Plan and Sustainable Communities Strategy (September 2016)
An open house workshop has been scheduled to review the Draft 2016 RTP/SCS for September 8, 2016 from 4 p.m. - 6 p.m. at the Oroville City Council Chambers - 1735 Montgomery St. - Oroville, CA and September 12, 2016 from 1 p.m. - 5 p.m. in the BCAG conference room located at 326 Huss Drive, Suite 150, Chico. Links to the workshop documents and public notice will be posted below when available.
Final Sustainable Communities Strategy - Adopted December 13, 2012
The region's first Sustainable Communities Strategy was adopted with the 2012 Metropolitan Transportation Plan on December 13th, 2012, by the BCAG Board of Directors. The Final MTP/SCS documents are available on the 2012 MTP/SCS homepage - click here to visit.
Project Documents (PDFs)
- BCAG's 2012 SCS
- Informational Flyer
- SCS Overview Board Presentation (December 2010)
- Growth Area Descriptions (March 2012)
- Land Use Scenario Concepts (March 2012)
- Land Use Scenario Development & Analysis (June 2012)
- Technical Methodology for Estimating GHG Emissions (revised December 2012)
Public Outreach Conducted for the 2012 SCS
1st Round SCS Workshops (August 2011)
BCAG hosted 4 public workshops in early August 2011 to present the preliminary draft 2012 Metropolitan Transportation Plan (MTP) and to inform and educate the public as to what the SCS consists of, the issues and policies choices, and to solicit comments prior to its development.
- Slide Presentation (PDF)
- SCS Internet Resources Handout (PDF)
- BCAG 2012 SCS Information Handout (PDF)
- Current Land Use and Road Network Map (PDF)
- Brochure and Comment Card (PDF)
- Public Notice (August 2011 Workshops)
2nd Round SCS Workshops (June 2012)
BCAG hosted 4 public workshops in June 2012 to present the preliminary draft 2012 Metropolitan Transportation Plan (MTP), to once again inform and educate the public as to what the SCS consists of, the issues and policies choices, and to solicit comments on the recently prepared land use scenarios.
- BCAG 2012 SCS Information Handout - revised (PDF)
- Land Use Growth Area Types (PDF)
- Land Use Scenario Descriptions and Analysis (PDF)
- Regional Transportation Priorities Map (PDF) and Table (PDF)
- Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality Improvement Projects Table (PDF)
- Slide Presentation (PDF)
- Comment Card (PDF)
- Public Notice (June 2012 Workshops)
BCAG hosted 4 public workshops in October 2012 to present the official Draft 2012 Metropolitan Transportation Plan (MTP) and Sustainable Communities Strategy. Public Notice (October 2012 Workshops)
In 2010, ARB set GHG reduction targets for the BCAG region from passenger vehicles as a 1% increase from 2005 emissions levels by 2020 and 2035. The targets apply to the BCAG region as a whole for all passenger vehicles emissions, and not to individual cities or sub-regions.
- BCAG's Methodology and Scenario Results Report for SCS Target Setting (revised June 2010)
- Click Here to view the California Air Resources Board (ARB) - Report on Regional GHG Emission Reduction Targets For Automobiles and Light Trucks (approved by ARB September 23, 2010)
ARB has formally notified all Metropolitan Planning Organizations, such as BCAG, that passenger vehicle GHG reduction targets will be revised in 2016. Once new targets are approved by ARB, they would apply to BCAG’s 2020 RTP/SCS.
If you have questions regarding the Sustainable Communities Strategy for the Butte County region or wish to be placed on the SCS email notification list, please contact Brian Lasagna, Regional Analyst at (530) 809-4616 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.